With the end of fall on the way, large number of bugs and insects become active to enjoy the warm weather. The most common pest category that is sure to join humans for the season’s last barbeque is hornets & wasps. These tiny flying insects can be easily noticed buzzing around in a yard or building nests at safe places around a home.
Though hornets are quite small creatures, their stings can ruin the comfort of a person and can cause hefty pain. Most of the homeowners are afraid of bees, wasp and hornet infestation, just because of the risk of being stung. If your home has been invaded by these pesky bugs, call in a professional pest exterminator in Kitchener for proper pest control.
Some tips to prevent hornet nests in a home are:
- Remove leftover food and cover trashcans: Insects are usually attracted towards the food source. For e.g.: ripen or fallen fruits inside a yard, leftover picnic food, pet nutrient bowls etc. The foremost thing to do is remove the sources of food that may attract a hornet family. Cover all the garbage and trash cans with a lid and remove all unwanted fruits from a yard.
- Maintain home fixtures and structure: The perfect spots for hornet nests are broken wall panels, soffit gaps, irregular sidings etc. Move around your home to notice the areas that need to be repaired. Make sure that the doors and windows are properly closed, so that they won’t allow any pest to enter the home interiors. Seal all sorts of wall holes and cracks to prevent the rodent and hornet invasion in Kitchener.
- Use wasp decoys: Wasp decoys are artificial structures that look similar to a wasp nest. Both hornets and wasps are territorial insects and believe in living in their own territory. Therefore, a decoy will make a hornet family think that the property is presently invaded by some other family. This will make them go further to search for another home.
- Set up traps: Another fruitful way for removing or controlling hornet population is by involving the use of humane traps. They can be easily purchased from a Kitchener pest removal company or from a home improvement store.
- Consult an exterminator: Since these insects can sting humans badly, it’s advised to go to professionals for safe removal of their existing nests. Consult a pest control specialist for long term and effective elimination of hornets from a property.
These are the few ways that can help in preventing hornet population. Don’t risk for being stung by these pesky insects this season. Call our experienced pest exterminators for help.